“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
“To delight in war is a merit in the soldier, a dangerous quality in the captain, and a positive crime in the statesman.”
- George Santayana
“Yes. In the end, you will walk out. Because 100,000 Englishmen simply cannot control 350 million Indians, if those Indians refuse to cooperate.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve.”
- Japanese Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto, upon conclusion of the attack on Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941.
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury. After that, the majority always votes for the candidate promising the most benefits with the result the democracy collapses because of the loose fiscal policy ensuing, always to be followed by a dictatorship, then a monarchy.”
- Alexander Fraser Tytler, 1951
"I don't suffer fools gladly."
- Any one of a number of bosses I've had over the years.
“Insufficient facts always invite danger, Captain.”
- Spock, Star Trek (Original Series), from the episode "Space Seed".
"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage, 1791-1871, inventor of the idea of the programmable computer.
“Captain, your logic was impeccable, we are in grave danger.”
- Spock, Star Trek (Original Series), from the episode "The Changeling".
"Never underestimate the capacity of engineers to eat free food."
"I love it when a plan comes together!"
- George Peppard, "Hannibal Smith" in The A-Team (1983-1987).
"A man who's been trained to ignore pain, ignore weather, to live off the land, to eat things that would make a billy goat puke."
- Richard Crenna, Colonel Trautman in Rambo: First Blood, (1982).
"Somebody left the door open and the wrong dogs came home."
- Clint Eastwood, The Stranger, in High Plains Drifter, (1973).
"Daddy can fix ANYTHING if he puts his mind to it!"
- The Alexander children.